Saturday, May 2, 2009

Squeaky. Paranormal.

So I had a paranormal experience last night.

My sleep cycle is too sensitive for me to be able to control it. One bad day, or one late night, and it takes me days to get my act together. Last night, was the beginning of another chaotic routine. I happened to catch a very interesting episode of ER - a show I used to watch eagerly with my sister, late in the night, before I got married and moved out. In the middle of the show, I heard some weird taps; the kinds that typically come from throwing rubber balls on wooden surfaces. Soft yet hard. I then heard some loud and clear squeaking that I've never heard before (and hope to never hear again). A lizard.

So I had this paranormal experience last night.

A lizard entered our room from under the door, rushed behind a curtain, and began squeaking. Not once. Not twice. A few times. In the dark of the night, it seemed like a lot. I shivered. I woke up a tired husband, just about getting ready to snore.

"Did you hear that?" I asked him. He probably thought somebody had broken in. "No. What happened?", his eyes bloodshot. Not from anger, but from sleep. Deep sleep. "Wait for it. There's a lizard, squeaking." He shuffled over to the other side instantly. But I had achieved it. I had managed to put him on high alert. The next time that damn thing squeaked, he heard it.

I lay on my bed. Scared. Unable to put my treacherous feet on the floor. I picked up my mobile phone and pointed its browser to google. "Do lizards squeak?" I found a lot. They squeak when in pain or excited. For the love of God, I thought, let it be pain. Let it be pain. Let it die. I have already had an encounter with two mating lizards this season, and I can't handle more. I can't understand how people can write about these little "harmless" creatures and oh-so-fondly. I actually found this blog: Things that go squeak in the night. I'm sorry, but I refuse to be smitten by these "little guys". That just wouldn't be normal. That would be paranormal.

So I had a paranormal experience last night. Have you ever?

10 comments:

Jon said...

sometimes every day seems strangely paranormal, though I have nothing to compare it with...

i like how you've crafted this story as well... it's quite vivid... thanks for sharing your writing...

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt say thats a paranormal experience... believe me I have had them and still do... seeing ghosts and entities, etc. and even if I am asleep I wake everytime there around... and see them...Ive had music boxes out of the blue just start playing.... and I can sense them when there around (during wake hours) even see flashes of light fly by me as fast as lightening...and at one time I was attacked by a demon in my old apartment where I used to live.

Saadia said...

Thank you, Jon, for dropping by.

KimP, calling it 'paranormal' was - I guess - a failed attempt at humour.

:-)

But interesting stuff about yourself. Have you ever written anything about your experiences?

Jon said...

NP... thanks for yur response... hope these words find you well...

Unknown said...

awww... well i would not call this paranormal !!! just like kimp there

tho i have never seen lizards mate.. how do they do it? don't they just lay eggs ?

Onkar said...

I like the way you narrated the experience.

Kadri Luik said...

I don't like snakes and lizards are simply snakes with legs so I wouldn't be happy to see one.

Our house has some really weird acoustic things going on and it takes time to get used to it. When everything in the house is silent and even when the power in the house is off you can hear something that sounds as jazz playing on a radio in the stairwell. We've tried to locate the source for 19 years now without finding it.
Anything done in the downstairs bathroom can be clearly heard in our master bedroom at the other side of the house. And when our youngest son and his band is rehearing in his room we can barely hear it when we're in the kitchen, right underneath them, but the "noise" is unbearable when we are in the office at the opposite side of the house.

One can never truly trust that what one hears are really there...

Id it is said...

'squeaky' or otherwise, so long as it's love they make, I'm okay with it:)

I'd love to believe I've had those experiences, but alas other than the one's I've seen on TV I've had no such luck.

Saadia said...

I like to believe that there is a scientific explanation behind every noise/occurrence. Calling this experience paranormal, was a (bad) attempt at humour, on my part!

Sami, you didn't just ask that?!

Onkar, thank you!

Kadri, are you sure you've looked hard enough? :-)

Id, I just can't stand lizards, much less, have them trespass into my house. :-)

Unknown said...

hey m curious !!!